Decatur High School, GA

3TEN

Decatur High School, GA

3TEN

Decatur High School, GA

3TEN

DHS Band Dominates LGPE

Girls varsity volleyball starts their season off strong

The DHS girls varsity volleyball team posing for a picture after winning a game.

On Aug. 12th, the Decatur High School (DHS) girls varsity volleyball team competed in Spikefest, a volleyball tournament hosted by Tucker High School (THS) and Chamblee High School (CHS). Although the team lost in the knockout rounds at CHS, they remained undefeated in their bracket at THS. 

Senior Madden Reagan said this tournament gave the team a sense of confidence in their teamwork. “[…] the skill and competitiveness that was demonstrated during these matches was amazing, making us all hopeful for the season ahead,” Reagan said. 

Two incoming players, Brigit Walsh and London Docherty, both played quality minutes during Spikefest. Walsh plays outside hitter, a position that requires the players to hit and block the left side of the net, while Docherty plays defensive specialist (DS), a position that requires passing control and reliability. Reagan feels the new players added to the roster this year make up for where they might have lost. “The new energy coupled with our existing environment makes me very excited for the rest of our season,” Reagan said. 

As the season progresses, the team feels confident in their ability to compete with strong opponents. They currently have a record of seven wins and one loss.

However, Reagan notes that the team’s biggest struggle at DHS is fan attendance at games. After lots of brainstorming, the team created the idea of “Class Bash”. 

Class Bash will be a tournament starting Aug. 24th at the DHS gymnasium, where different classes will play each other in volleyball games. A championship game will be held later that day where a class will be named champion.