Decatur High School, GA

3TEN

Decatur High School, GA

3TEN

Decatur High School, GA

3TEN

DHS Band Dominates LGPE

DHS to put on Mean Girls the Musical

“World Peace” cast rehearsing during tech week.

On March 7, 2024, the Decatur High School musical theatre program will have its opening night for Mean Girls the Musical. Shows will be held from Thursday to Sunday this weekend and the following weekend. 

The musical is based on the movie Mean Girls, written by Tina Fey, which was adapted into its stage form. The story follows sixteen-year-old Cady Heron, as she navigates social hierarchy for the first time in a high school setting. The musical explores many relevant themes today, such as popularity, bullying, and expectations of beauty. Additionally, it is known for its satirical take on the world of teenagers. 

DHS’s production of the show has been given a PG-13 rating, credited to its lack of censorship onstage. The new rating system for DHS productions was established last year with the program’s production of 9 to 5. Along with the PG-13 rating, director Raven Owen-Beyer released a video statement referencing the importance of showcasing stories such as Means Girls today. 

Additionally, the show will compete against numerous other Georgia high school theatre programs at the Georiga High School Musical Theatre Awards, better known as the Shuler Awards. Shuler adjudicators will observe one of the performances and decide if the musical will be nominated and, later on, may win.