Decatur High School, GA

3TEN

Decatur High School, GA

3TEN

Decatur High School, GA

3TEN

DHS Band Dominates LGPE

Heat advisory in Decatur leaves events canceled

DHS students cool off on a hot day.
DHS students cool off on a hot day.

Throughout August, there have been many heat advisories in Decatur, causing multiple sporting events to be canceled. A heat advisory occurs when the heat index, which measures what the temperature feels like, reaches or exceeds 105 degrees.

According to Fire Captain Menard, heat advisories have become more regular in recent years. The City of Decatur has responded accordingly, releasing an infographic showing locations of cooling shelters in the area, such as the Decatur library and Rec center. Additionally, they have uploaded information on how to stay safe with the dangerous weather. Menard advises,“Every few hours drink a glass of water, If you feel you’re thirsty, it’s too late.”

There is at least one heat advisory predicted for the week of August 21. While the City Of Decatur has canceled outdoor activities including cross country, soccer, and football, other activities have not been canceled.  While participating in those activities, students are advised to take breaks and be vigilant for heat emergencies. “Just know yourself, make the decision to monitor yourself if you have any of the symptoms of heat exhaustion, stop and cool down.” Menard said.