3TEN

Filed under NEWS

Political opening: Democratic and Republican clubs established at Decatur

Democratic and Republican clubs established at DHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mahmoud is currently looking for a charter from the Georgia state association of Young Democrats, and funding from the Dekalb County Young Republicans.

Decatur welcomed politics into the list of official school clubs on Dec. 13 and 14. In the second-to-last week of the first semester, not just one, but two new clubs held their first meetings: Young Democrats and Young Republicans.

“I want to have these clubs help people feel accepted for their ideas and political ideologies,” junior Ibrahim Mahmoud said.

Mahmoud started both clubs because he “felt like there was a need for political clubs” at Decatur. After hearing from a friend in the Young Republicans club at Columbus High School, Mahmoud decided in September to pursue the creation of both clubs.

“If you only have one, you’re basically ignoring a whole group of people so if I were to start just the Young Democrats, wouldn’t the Young Republicans at the school feel ignored?” Mahmoud said. “I wanted to basically give a platform for everyone to have a voice.”

In 2018, Mahmoud envisions these clubs inviting guest speakers, debating each other and campaigning for their respective parties. Mahmoud also hopes both clubs will create a more open political environment at Decatur.

“I want to create a dialogue between Republicans and Democrats, and because this is such a liberal school, we’re only seeing one side of the argument, and we’re basically villainizing the Republicans,” Mahmoud said. “I also want students to have fun… expressing their ideas.”

Cara Cassell, sponsor of the Young Democrats, also sees both clubs starting at the same time as a key to their success.

Junior Ibrahim Mahmoud leads the inaugural Young Democrats meeting on Friday, Dec. 15, as fellow juniors Zoe Coblin, Ruiqi Zhang and Claire Goldman look on.

“I think if they hadn’t started at the same time, because of the way our national politics seem to be very divisive and unkind, I would not have thought it would be a good idea for either one of them to start by themselves,” Cassell said. “But I personally think it was really good for them to start together and I think it’s really good for students to have an opportunity to learn how to be part of an organization that has politics as its focus. Ideally, they’re going to come out more informed than they would have.”

Because of Decatur’s widely recognized liberal lean, Mahmoud sees the establishment and growth of the Young Republicans as a greater challenge than that of the Young Democrats.

To contact the writer, email him at 19christopherrosselot@csdecatur.net

About the Writer
Christopher Rosselot, Carpe Diem Managing Editor

Christopher Rosselot (Class of 2019) looks forward to helping tell stories through in-depth reporting in his second year on the crew.  Outside of...

1 Comment

One Response to “Political opening: Democratic and Republican clubs established at Decatur”

1. Noah on January 16th, 2018 12:09 pm

The DEC needs a better name

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Political opening: Democratic and Republican clubs established at Decatur

NEWS

The CDC experiences cuts in funding, reprioritizes

NEWS

The PATH to transportation efficiency

NEWS

Decatur resident creates “Decatur FM” radio station

NEWS

The Alliance

ENTERTAINMENT

Contestants to take the stage in Decatur’s Got Talent Auditions

NEWS

Entire district locked down

Advertisment

City Schools of Decatur Live Twitter Feed

NEWS

Community assesses racial inequity

NEWS

Trump Administration changes policy on birth control insurance coverage

ENTERTAINMENT

Update: James and the Giant Peach Tech Week and Preparation for Opening Night

Decatur High School, GA